If you believe you have experienced racial discrimination at work, call 888-762-0297 to discuss your case.
There is no charge for consultations.
The Sempers Law Firm can help resolve racial discrimination cases in Los Angeles and throughout the rest of California.
What is race discrimination?
Often race discrimination is referred to as either racial discrimination, color discrimination, ethnic discrimination, or race prejudice.
Race discrimination at work
Race discrimination in the workplace occurs when an applicant or employee is intentionally treated unfairly because of their race or personal characteristics associated with race - skin color, hair texture, or facial features. It can also occur when a company policy that looks neutral ends up having a negative effect on workers of a particular race. The basis for race discrimination often extends to an employee or applicant’s spouse. Meaning, a person can be discriminated against based on the race of their partner or spouse.
The law prohibits race discrimination in every aspect of employment, includes hiring, firing, pay, duties and responsibilities, promotions, layoffs, training, benefits, and any other term or condition of that person’s employment. Not only is it illegal to base employment terms and conditions on race, but it is also against the law harassing a person because of their color or race.
Examples of race discrimination in California
Race discrimination includes:
- Paying less to employees of a particular race who otherwise have similar qualifications and abilities,
- Routinely hiring employees of a particular race into positions with less opportunity for advancement,
- Routinely failing to promote members of a particular race,
- Allowing coworkers to harass members of a specific race,
- Subjecting members of a particular race more often and severely to discipline and other practices which prevent career advancement,
- Allowing discriminatory practices that result in lower earnings or a work environment that causes emotional anguish, distress, or humiliation.
This is not an exhaustive list.